All about the WordPress Plugin Forum
This article does 3 things:
1) We review the TOP WordPress Forum Plugins and recommends the best WordPress Forum Plugin
2) and this article tells you HOW to install the Recommended WordPress Plugin for a Forum.
3) Finally, this WordPress Plugin Forum article will give you a link to a WordPress Forum about WordPress Plugins and other WordPress Tools
The WordPress Forum Plugin Review
So First, What is the BEST WordPress Plugin for adding a Forum to your WordPress Blog?
Here are the ones we have used and reviewed.
Our Top Recommendation for a WordPress Forum Plugin Is:
WP Forum Server -Wordpress Plugin Forum
Is based on the WP-Forum Plugin. The admin panel is very similar if not the same (I did not do a side by side as it was unnecessary.
Here are the tabs that are In the Admin Panel tab after you install the plugin
(You can click on this link to read our article on WordPress Plugins if you are not familiar wit finding and installing a wordpress plugin)
1)Skins Tab: You can choose one for 5 or 6 skins (look and feels) for your forum. I am using the WP Forum 2.0 skin,
2) Categories and Forums: You need to set up at least one Forum and One category. You can set up more if you like. These are where forum posts are grouped by subject.
3) Moderators: You need to have at least 1 moderator. Someone with Admin authority to delete posts, answer questions etc.
4) User Groups. Again set up at least one user group. With time you can ad more if you need them.
5) About -
NOTE: There are 2 things you have to do that you won’t find on the plugin admin tabs:
1) You must create a new blank page. Call it whatever you want. And paste the following at the top of the page:
Without this you won't have a forum! This page is where the forum gets posted to.
I called mine "Forum".
2) You must put that Forum page you just made in your menu so people can find it!
Thats it for our WordPress Plugin Forum #1 recommendation.
The other top WordPress Plugin Forum choices and a straight to the point review (based on actual usage):
The Mingle Forum Plugin
What a pain in the butt.
You do NOT get the information you need to make the plugin work from the plugin installation or from the plugin admin panels.
I had to go to the plugin sites to find out several key things you had to do to make it work and after wasting hours and hours and hours over 2 days on 2 sites gave up and uninstalled the plugin.
Is very basic and also does not tell you everything you need to know in the admin panels.
Those things are the same as the two mentioned in the WP Forum Server Plugin recommendation above.
I am sorry but leaving out key info like that drives me nuts!! If you use a wordpress plugin it should run in a default mode out of the box (thats why its called a plugin. you plug it in and it should work) if possible and if not, it surely should tell you what you need to do to make it work properly in the admin panel that it provides!
The WordPress Plugin Forum – final plugin is The Tal.ki forum plugin
Is the easiest to install and feature rich. BUT has a major drawback. Read on.
IT is a WordPress Plugin Forum that is hosted at another site. I am not nuts bout adding another hop and another failure point to your blogs content. It seemed noticeably slow to bring up the forum once you clicked on it!
Slow is death on the Internet. You lose visitors.
BUT it is a very nice looking, feature rich and easy to install plugin.
But the “Options” panel, when I installed it did nothing. But the install notes say you modify it there. But later on you find out that you modify it as the admin on the Tal.ki forum page that it automatically creates for you.
You can click on this link to go to our WordPress Plugin Category to read many more wordpress Plugin How to and Informational articles!
OK thats it for this WordPress Plugin Forum Article