Guide to Installing a new WordPress Theme
In this wordpress theme installation guide we give you all the information you need to get and install a custom theme (or "skin") on your wordpress blog! This is really easy once you know how and will only take a few minutes. OK?
You can get a FREE custom theme by searching in the "ADD Themes" option of your admin panel.
There are hundreds of very good free themes out there> While they do not have the full functionality and support of the "Professional Themes" (Themes you buy) there still are some very good free ones out there.
You can get a professional theme from a company like Woo Themes.
WooThemes has some of the top professional grade themes out there. There are a lot of other Professional themes available on the web as well>You can click on this link WP Themes to go to http://wpthemesdeals.com and check out their reviews of Woo Themes, Free Themes and even download Free Themes.
How to install a custom wordpress theme once you have selected or made one:
The first part of this article describes the installation process for Themes that you found in Wordpress. THIS IS THE EASIEST THING TO DO IN THE WORLD just by using the WP Themes Tab under the Appearance Tab in the sidebar of your WordPress Admin Panels (there are over 1000 that you can find there and they auto install AND auto de-install. How cool is that?).
The Second part of this Article describes the installation process for Themes that you did NOT find in WordPress. These would include professional Themes from companies like WPZOOM or WOO Themes or other themes you found on the web. Check out WPThmesedeals.com at the link mentioned farther up the page to see some of them.
PART 1 – Installing a FREE Theme
Over 1000 free WP Themes are all available for download from within your wordpress Admin panel by:
1) Log in to the WordPress Administration Panel.
2) Click on the Appearance tab (about 6 tabs down the left column) and then Click on Themes.
3) This brings up the Themes management console within your admin panel.
4) now just click on the round "Add" button.
5) This will bring up a search screen that you can enter the Theme name, or search by selecting attributes like colors or by selecting a tag (a term that identifies the Theme like "Magazine Theme" or "SEO Optimized" and then click on the "Search" button.
6) This will pull up any Themes with the name or that meets the criteria you entered.
7) You can then just click on "Install" to install the Theme!
8) Don't worry, you can always go back to your old Theme by installing it and trying again!
- The first thing to do is downloading the theme that interests you.
- The second thing is uploading the wp theme zipped folder using your wordpress admin panel
- The final step is activating it.
To download the zipped files,
- Most sources for themes will give you a button to click or a word like "Download Now"/ Just click on the word ‘download now’.
- You will be prompted to save the files at a position where you can easily access them.
- Once the WP Themes files have been downloaded, it should be in one file folder in a zipped format. If your pc automatically unzipped it or for some reasone you got it unzipped, yo will need to "Zip it" into a single folder. Remember the name and location.
- IF you are using wordpress to upload the file you leave it zipped.
- Otherwise, The matter of whether you need unzipping software for your WordPress theme depends on the type of the computer that you are using.
- All recent computers that operate on windows have no problem handling this software.
- AND MOST DECENT WEBHOSTS WILL HAVE A FTP PROGRAM THAT FTP's THE FILE AND HANDLES UNZIPPING FOR YOU.
Then click on "Themes"
This opens the themse window. At the top will be two tabs:
1) "manage Themes" which will will show you your current themes
2) " install themes.".
Click on the "Install Themes" tab.
This gives you the option to upload a new theme as shown below:
Now just click on "upload". It will pop open a window to let you type in the file location or browse your computer for it.
Once you have done that and uploaded the file you may get a window to "activate" it. If so choose activate.
If you don't get the "activate the theme" option, just click on the "Manage Themes" Tab and then find the theme in the list of themes you have available for your website and click "activate" there.The
theme should now be live.
HOWEVER – you may have to set up options and configure it to have it look and run like its supposed to.
Information for how to do that should be avaialable from whoever or wherever you got the theme. OK?
- To have access to your FTP, you need to have a username as well as a password.
- Your web host provides you with this information.
- These details also enable you to access your website directory.
- FTP client is what you need before you can start off.
- Navigate through the website until you locate WordPress, the ultimate destination for your WordPress theme.
- (when I say Navigate I mean click on a folder to open it and get to the next folder/directory. If you go to far find the back button or click on the prior folder).
- The position varies depending on the web host. Normally it is found inside a directory which is known as “public html”.
- You then want to navigate to the "Wp-content" folder/directory.
- Then the "Themes" folder within WP-Content
- Create a directory to contain your theme in the wp-content/themes directory provided by WordPress. For example, a theme named Test should be in wp-content/themes/test. Your theme may provide this directory as part of the archive.
- Having done this, you can now upload the theme.
- Log in to the WordPress Administration Panel.
- Select the Appearance panel, then Themes.
- From the Available Themes section, click on the theme title (or theme screenshot) for the theme you wish to activate.
- A preview of the theme will be shown.
- To activate the theme click the Activate "Theme Name" link in the top right.
- NOTE: if the WP Theme is blank don't activate it. You should be able to see a preview of the Theme
Find More How To Install A Theme Articles
That is all you need to know on installing a WordPress Theme