The All in one SEO Pack WordPress Plugin Tutorial
This Tutorial covers the All in one SEO pack WordPress Plugin.
Here are the contents of the article:
1) The All In One SEO Pack plugin Review - what this WordPress plugin does
2) The All In one SEO Pack Tutorial – How to set up the plugin and use its admin screen
3) How to use this All in one SEO WordPress Plugin
The All in one SEO Pack WordPress Plugin Tutorial
The All in one SEO Pack is a wordpress Plugin that helps you perform the critical on page SEO (Search Engine Optimization) for you blog or website.
In a nutshell the all in one SEO pack controls the:
1) Title Meta Tag – This is an HTML Meta Tag that the Search Engines use to determine what the page is about.
- You should have your main keyword phrase in this tag at the front.
- It should be readable and understandable to a human
- DO NOT try to stuff it full of keywords. Google may just ignore it.
- About 60 characters total
2) The Description Meta Tag
This is generally what humans see when your site is listed along with other sites in the results of a search engine query (when someone enters a term in Google and hits enter). This is also called the SERPs – The Search Engine Results page
- You should make this reflect what your page is about
- You should make it human readable
- It should make people want to click on it to find out more
- DO NOT try to stuff it full of key words. It won’t work and will make people not click on it
- DO NOT try to get people to click on it by lying or implying things that aren’t true. You will just make them mad when they get to your site and they will leave right away and not come back.
3) and the Keyword Meta tag
This is far less important than it used to be. Only Yahoo and the smaller search engines use it and most are starting to do what Google does, analyze the text on your page to determine what keywords reflect what your page is really about.
- Put your top 3 keywords or keyword phrases without quotes,
- each word or phrase separated by commas
- Don’t waste a ton of time on it sweating the order, etc.
- DO NOT try to pack it full of 50 keywords. It will do no good
The All in One Keyword Pack Plugin does this for the Website itself and for each of your individual posts.
NOTE: If you do not do this, with this plugin or another, you will NOT rank well in the search engines. This means that when people do a search in a search engine like Google for keywords that relate to your site, they will most likely never see your website to click on it. That is because the Search Engines will think that your site does not have anything to do with what they are looking for.
The All in one SEO Plugin Pack IS NOT the only SEO plugin you can use or should use.
You should also use the Google XML sitemaps plugin to generate your sitemap and automatically send it to Google, yahoo and Bing and a few others.
The All in one SEO Pack WordPress Plugin Tutorial
You can Download and install the aAll in One SEO Pack Plugin from your wordpress dashboard.
If you do not know how to install a plugin you can click on this link to read our article on How to Install and Use wordpress Plugins.
After you install the All in one SEO Pack plugin in it will tell you in blaring red that you must go to the admin page to configure it. So click on the “Admin Page” link in that message and let’s configure it!
Scroll down the page. For beginners we are going to focus on the three main objectives – setting up your Title, Descriptions and Meta Tags for your home or main page.
First thing is to check the “Activate” box so that the plugin is active.
The Home Title Box:
Allows you to set up the website home title – critical for website SEO. Make sure to put your main keyword phrase in this title. This should be descriptive about the page
The Home Description Box
Sets up the home page description Meta tag. Not as critical as the tile. BUT IT IS what people will see if searching for your site on Google so it should accurately
The Home Keywords Box.
Insert the Keywords for Home page – keywords Meta tag not as important
You can actually skip the rest of this for now if you want to. But here are a few more to consider:
You can have “no index” and the like generated for archive-, category- and tag pages if you seem to have trouble with duplicate content.
The real power of the All in one SEO Pack plugin is in the posts SEO optimization
- Allows you to set the tags and the categories for the post
- Allows you to set the Title Meta Tag
- The Description Meta Tag – what the user sees in the search engine results when searching ion a keyword phrase or word
- The Keyword Meta tag for the post
- It allows you to update these anytime you want in the future WITHOUT changing the post title itself to try to optimize the SEO based upon the results you see in Google over time.
Per Post/Page/article All in one SEO Pack Tutorial tag Tweaking notes
- One the post/page editing there is a collapsed area named after the plugin.
- Open it and you can tweak title, keywords and descriptions.
- Descriptions can be auto-generated or taken from the post-excerpt (except for pages, here this GUI is necessary).
- Keywords should be generated by tags and categories.
- The title can only be tweaked here, and this is a very powerful way to optimize your posts and pages.
- This SEO plugin is designed to give you the best options out of the box, however depending on your situation your mileage may vary, and no set of options is perfect for every site.
How to use this All in one SEO Pack WordPress Plugin
We really pretty much covered that in the tutorial. But here is the address of the website if you need to go to their help forum: http://semperfiwebdesign.com/portfolio/wordpress/wordpress-plugins/all-in-one-seo-pack/
And here are the Frequently Asked Questions from their website:
Before you request support please test with the default theme!
- Does it work with WordPress 2.5?
Yes it does.
- It doesn’t work.
Actually this is not a really good notion to start with. Can you clarify it (see points below).
- I don’t see the meta tags in the source at all.
Try it with the default theme. Try disabling other themes until you get a working combination. If all that doesn’t help leave a comment on this page. Please specify what exactly isn’t working, your WP version and if possible your PHP version.
- I don’t see meta tags with my theme. The default theme works all right though.
In most cases your theme is missing the appropriate call to wp_head() usually found in header.php. Please patch it, taking it from the default theme.
If you don’t know how to do this, the following steps mightwork. Do them on your own risk:
- In your admin panel, go to Plugins – Theme Editor
- On the right bar, click on Header
- Locate the line with
- Insert the following linke before it:
<?php wp_head(); ?>
- After activating All in One SEO Plugin I see two sets of meta tags.
Please just edit your theme and remove whatever static meta descriptions and/or meta keywords you have in there. If it’s not your theme, you are probably using another plugin that is generating them. Disable it.
- My paged index pages are not showing any meta tags.
This is on purpose to avoid semi-duplicate content (your index pages are not your homepage so they shouldn’t use the same meta tags). It might change in the future.
- My URLs don’t get rewritten.
All in One SEO Pack doesn’t handle this, it’s already done by WordPress itself. Visit Options – Permalinks to setup.
- One Click Upgrade Error: Upgrade failed: Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature [code -10]
Sorry I don’t know what’s causing this. It might be because the download got scrambled for some reasons. It’s up to manual updates now.
- Why are you releasing so often?
The comments on the main post are full of feature and modification requests and also requests for bug fixes. Every time I fix something or implement a new feature I release a new version. Because somebody wanted it, and might also help many others. As I’m doing this in my spare time I usually implement things in short bursts whenever I find a consecutive number of free time slices to use. And of course I release immediately afterwards and then keep on doing whatever I else I do in my spare time. This way it’s out of my mind (and todo list) and at least one person is happy (and possibly many more).
- Can I automatically include some keywords in all my posts?
The short answer is no. The slightly longer answer is that this plugin is about best practices for SEO, and having the same keywords over and over again on every post is not recommended.
- Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted … What is that??
All in One SEO uses output buffering to rewrite the titles, for this to works it needs memory. There’s no way to optimize that much more, and on most hosting setups it just works which leads me to the conclusion that there are some companies who are just skimpy with memory. If the above error appears on admin pages, it’s not even output buffering related. I’d recommend switching to a host that can provide sufficient memory or disabling some plugins.
- Why are the keywords showing on my page so everyone can see them?
You are misusing a feature called “Additional Post Meta Tags”. Please read the help text (simply by clicking on it in the options panel). It’s *not* meant for keywords.
Here are a few last learning thoughts for you
If you are struggling with SEO or don't know SEO at all check out this WordPress SEO plugin:
SEOPressor analyses your WordPress website and tells you specifically how to improve its SEO and even keeps a score of the SEO for your pages that you can track as you make the changes SEOPressor tells you to: You can click here to get the plugin now
What I like about SEO Pressor:
1) It is a wordpress plugin that works while you work on your blog.
2) That means no jumping back and forth between an off page tool and your blog post.
3) It automatically performs some of the tasks and the rest it keeps a running list on to the right of your blog.
4) It keeps an SEO score for the article your writing, the goal is to get the SEO to 100% and it tracks your progress.
5) It tells you exactly what problems that remain that you need to fix.
6) Everyone knows that on page SEO is half the battle and this solves it for you
7) SeoPressor offers a 60 day money back guarantee.
8) You get to use it for 60 days. Optimize your sites pages. If their positions in Google don't improve you get a 100% refund right away. Cool. No risk.
Finally, you can click on this link to go to our main page and read more great WordPress how To articles.
OK thats it for the All in one SEO Pack WordPress Plugin Tutorial